Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Jitters

Every night, before coming to the restaurant, I go through a ritual.  I pick out my clothes (black or black - you'd think it wouldn't be as tricky as it turns out to be), I do my hair, put on make-up, choose my jewelry and say good-bye to my children.  Each kid has a different way of letting me go: Ursula gives me long hugs, Sasha squeezes me so tight I feel a little bit lightheaded and then tries to lift me up off my feet, and Olivia cries a little and asks me to stay home, the whole time giving me multiple neck hugs and kissing me on both cheeks like some continental diva.  I get in my van and start the drive.  When I am about 3 blocks before the restaurant, I get this nervous, jittery feeling and it builds and builds until I park the van and go into the building.  I love this and hate it.  Every night, I say to myself, 'Really, you're being ridiculous.  Why are you nervous?  It's your restaurant, it'll be fine.'  But, every night I am.

Tonight, more so than usual.

It was my first night back at the restaurant in 10 days.  We have just returned from a holiday and I felt like I was starting all over.  Going in, I think that I'm going to forget how to pour drinks or spill things or drop things.  And, of course, I do.  I dropped more cutlery than I have in months (and a coffee cup - right in the middle of the room - just dropped it).  I couldn't read the reso sheet and I confused people at the door.  I forgot to take a reso's phone number and I wrote in ink in the book (a cardinal sin if ever there was one...)  Generally, I was a disaster.  

I LOVED every minute of it!  I was this bumbling, nervous girl and I still had a great time.  Customers were funny and sweet and the staff was gentle with me.  I'm very lucky.

When Alex started doing a blog, we thought it would be fun to have some front of the house representation.  It's also a place to talk about being a mom and running a restaurant and being a woman in business.  It's quite the ride and I'm looking forward to writing about it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Danielle I know exactly what you mean. I can think of two things in my life where no matter how common they are or how comfortable they should be I always get jitters right before. Both public speaking and hosting parties. I love them both to no end when I actually get out and do it, but the moments leading up are nauseating. It's so good when you realize the people around you are supportive it's almost always the first thing to leave our minds yet it's so reassuring to see it in action. Hope all is well and good luck with the new blog :)

    ReplyDelete