Tuesday, May 4, 2010

3 most common questions

There are three questions I commonly get asked:

Where do you get your hair done? Buck at Hive Hair Co. I've been going to him for 12 years. I am very attached to him and he is very sweet.

Where do you get your jewellery? Predominantly at bijou on Provencher. I also have a fondness for Hilary Druxman. And, I have been known to get stuff at Zellers (yep) and H&M.

Finally, the one I find hardest to answer: How can you work with your husband?

I am stumped by that one. It's complicated.

It has not always been easy. Last year, we went through a business and relationship crisis. Now the thing about a crisis is that it clears away the clutter and your vision becomes laser sharp. We both needed that. It seems to me that you can bumble along living life without being mindful and the whole thing gets muddy. What is important? It was a process and it took about six months to begin to come to a better place and now, a year later, we are on much firmer ground. I think for me the most interesting part is that the crisis confirmed for both of us that we really love working together. In fact, I would be surprised if we ever worked apart again.

Alex and I push each other to be better, stronger, harder working, more creative, more responsible, more capable, and more fun. We can call each other on our shit or we can turn a blind eye. We know how to make something hum. We both love what we do and love it ten times more when we are sharing it. Wild, huh?

Finally, the most important thing for both of us is that we make each other laugh. Even when it's all a mess, we can find a way to laugh! Makes for a pretty great work day.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post. Very inspiring.

    I mean the third part - not much I can do about my hair, and I'm not a jewelry kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, sweet post! I just live a few blocks from Bistro and love it. I think you're the one that always lets my fiance and I come in late at night to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous. I tried working with my husband once. I really wanted to do it and make it work. Problem was I was coming into a business that he had been running for many years, so it ended up being me working for him instead of with him. Not so fun. I have another job now. We are still married.

    ReplyDelete