Saturday, April 25, 2009

Hi, how are you?

As some of you may or may not know, Alex and I ran the backstage kitchen (aka 'La Cuisine') at the Winnipeg Folk Festival for 13 years.  Two years ago, that relationship came to a bit of a rocky end.  This year, the new Executive Director of the festival, Tamara, invited us to sit down and talk for bit.  She talked about many things with us but the highlight for me was when she suggested that people working the gate of festival will be encouraged to start their interactions with patrons with the following: "Hi, welcome to the Winnipeg Folk Festival."  I felt joyful! Which seems kind of silly and a bit of an over-reaction but this simple phrase has the power to change so much.  

When customers walk into the restaurant, I try to greet everyone with, "Hi, how are you?" and look them in the eye.  I want people to feel like they belong.  Sometimes our place can be so busy and so intense, it might be a little bit overwhelming and I want people to know that they are welcome here.  But, it's more than just that.  I want to engage in a relationship with people. I am welcoming them into my home (some days I'm at the restaurant more than in my house) and I want them to feel comfortable.  I was just listening to a piece on Definitely Not The Opera and it was about the power of looking people in the eye.  They were suggesting that not only does it build trust (as in, I want you to have a good time here today and you have faith that you will) but it also creates a 'willingness'.  This is a trickier idea but it certainly has come in handy.  
Last night, I kind of got confused by how many people were still to come in and how many walk-ins I had accepted and really, generally what I was doing.  It happens.  I get a little tired, I get a little overexcited by customers I haven't seen for awhile at the door, I let everyone come in!  So, I got to that point of the night (mind you, it was almost 10:00 at night... if I did this at 6:00, I'd be a little worried...) where I didn't have enough tables for everyone.  I had this lovely couple come in with a reservation and I wasn't sure where to put them.  I greeted them and had a little visit.  I then asked them if they would like to start at the chef's table and they agreed. Within about 10 minutes, it became obvious to me that I wasn't finding a table.  Here comes the moment when I take a deep breath and go in for the are-you-happy-at-the-bar conversation.  I even wince as I type those words.  It can go horribly awry and I spend the evening dodging people.  Fortunately, they were happy!  Yeah!  I suspect that if we hadn't had time to connect, have a look-each-other-in-the-eye conversation, it may have unfolded differently.  Relationship is a brilliant concept and when it comes to life, great things can happen!

And so, before they need to search your bag at the Folk Fest this year, they will welcome you. And, if you volunteer or perform, you will eat our food.  See you there!




















1 comment:

  1. Often times when Danielle greets people at the door I think she is meeting a long lost friend. I don't recognize the person but she seem so happy to see them.
    Usually it turns out she has never met the person before, but she is still genuinely happy to greet them.
    Danielle carries a true feeling of hospitality, and has a wonderful ability to make you feel welcome. It truly is as if she is inviting you to share dinner in her home.

    ReplyDelete