Saturday, January 30, 2010

The long distance reso

I am out and about today, running errands, schlepping children to activities, tending to life and an event occurs that takes place about once a week: someone recognizes me and tries to book a reservation.

When we first opened and this would happen (occasionally people would call us at home, strangers as well as friends, and do the reservation that way), I would happily agree to the reservation and remember to write it down when I got to work. I guess a few things have changed since then. Every night, we have multiple reservations for every table and so knowing what is available can be daunting. The other challenge is that I now have to remember 5000 pieces of information; the quantity grew exponentially as the restaurant grew. I often feel like my thoughts are like sticky-notes with no stick left. I have no place to put them and they just fall off.

So, I try to be gracious about resos taken on the fly but I really cannot remember what we have available for Tuesday, February 16th. I also can't be trusted to remember to put your reservation in the book unless I am standing in front of it with a pencil in my hand.

Of course, I can remember the really important things like what the woman on table 4 was drinking last Thursday. Oh well, better than nothing I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your posts, Danielle...as I do your restaurant! They're always fresh and interesting...again, like your restaurant.

    I'm also a homeschooling mom (to one five-year-old boy) and am not sure how you fit homeschooling in, with THREE children. You must be one organized mama, with quite a lot of stick left in your mental sticky notes after all!

    All the best.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth,

    Thanks so much for the feedback! Please connect with me the next time you are in the restaurant - I would really like that opportunity.

    I am not organized. Really. I have a very supportive batch of grandparents and a staff of 25 people who help me get through the day. At the end of every day, I'm surprised to have arrived in one piece!

    take care,
    danielle

    ReplyDelete