Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What's in a name?

On average, I think I meet ten new people every day. There are days when it is only a few but most days it is many people. Or, I re-meet people: someone I met three months ago, I am reintroduced to. Now, 3 years ago, if you had asked me, I would have said, "Oh yeah, I'm great at remembering peoples' names, no problem." Now, I stare blankly at my best friend and think, "Wait, give me a minute, I'll get it."

I have been thinking about ways to up my stats. I want a better average in remembering. Maybe I should get one of those brain games for my kids Nintendo systems. Or, maybe I'll up my intake of brain foods like spinach, soy beans and chocolate (I know, I know, wishful thinking...) I read in the paper this week that weight-lifting increases your brain capacity. I love lifting weights, I love having pipes, so that'll be easy.

Often, we use a team approach at the restaurant. The servers will caucus to quickly discuss what someone's name is. Sometimes it is a brief moment because one of us remembers right away. Other times, it is a little debate and squabble and we disagree. So, if you see us having a little moment, you know what we are up to.

I do have my own techniques, it's just that they seem to be faltering from the high pace of incoming information! I love mnemonic devices and have used them often. In fact, I used a mnemonic technique just this weekend when I met a couple who were at the restaurant for the first time: David and Jennifer. So, in my head, I thought: okay, David and Jennifer, David and Jennifer, Dan and Lisa. Crap. How am going to remember their names? (They very clearly said they would be back and I believe them, they loved it!) Oh, I know, we have regulars that come every Saturday for lunch and were the first table cooked for in 2010: Dave and Jennifer. It's the same, I can do this.

Of course, this whole stream of thinking is going on while I'm talking to these new folks and I fear I seem like an idiot! I am also keenly aware of one being a Dave and the other a David. I just now that is going to trip me up. When the new couple comes back I know I am going to stand, looking at them and smiling, silently panicking as I search my brain for their names and have a fight with myself about wether it is Dave or David.

It's hard to explain how important it is to me to remember people's names and stories. Actually, I have an easier time remember their stories. That relationship moment is incredibly important to me and it drives me crazy that I lose a piece of it (the name) the moment I walk away.

I think my new plan is I'm going to take photos of people as they come in and carry around a binder with people's information in it.

Or, I'm going to hand out name tags. I don't think anyone will object.

3 comments:

  1. I've got to say that your facility for remembering faces and stories is nothing short of phenomenal - and when we tell people who are visiting Winnipeg that they *have* to eat at 7 1/4, we relate how you remembered us and our story as a way of trying to explain all of the "above and beyond just fabulous and interesting food" things that make the experience of eating there so unique and special.

    Marika, now resident of Halifax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marika! How are you doing? How is Halifax? I have a great girlfriend who lives there, a psych prof who is not teaching but doing yoga. I think I will try to connect you two. How is alex?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halifax is lovely and feels like "home" in a way that is sort of odd for someone who grew up in Alberta and still identifies as "prairie".

    We love our house (133 years old and survived the explosion) and our jobs (Alex managed to win the big faculty teaching award his first semester here) and our neighbourhood (it's not quite Wolseley, but we're literally two doors down from a place called Local Source which carries exclusively local produce/products and there are several good brunch places within easy walking distance - although most of Halifax is within easy walking distance).

    We had dinner with a friend from Winnipeg tonight, though, and talking with her reminded me of all the people and places that I miss there.

    I would love the connection for yoga and/or an interesting person to chat with - thanks for the offer! She'll be able to find me through the Dalhousie Department of Bioethics website.

    Hoping your newest business venture involves a satellite operation in Halifax (and if not then just that it goes well for you)!

    ReplyDelete